GREAT NEWS! Trinity Episcopal Church has just been named an Acclaimed Congregation by Hoosier Interfaith Power and Light (H-IPL). Trinity’s team is led by climate scientist and H-IPL volunteer Dr. Ben Brabson. We have not only reduced electricity and gas use by over 25%, but we’ve reduced water as well, installing low-flow toilets throughout the building. Plus, over a third of the congregation reduced energy use in their homes. Read the full article by clicking here.
Task of the Month Program
Looking for ways you can reduce your household energy use over the next year? A quick search on the Web or trip to the hardware store will reveal hundreds of ideas. The Task of the Month program is a plan that allows you to step into energy and money savings, doing a little bit every month to improve your overall efficiency.
- January: Insulate water heater and lower water heater temperature to 120F. Savings: $15/yr
- February: Insulate water pipes. Savings: $3/yr
- March: Install and use a programmable thermostat. Savings: $60/yr
- April: Install low-flow showerheads and faucet aerators. Savings: $25/yr
- May: Air dry clothes in summer; wash clothes in cold water. Savings: $60/yr
- June: Increase AC thermostat by at least 3 degrees F. Savings: $20/yr
- July: Replace 6 interior and 1 exterior incandescent bulbs. Savings: $40/yr
- August: Weatherize windows and doors. Savings: $30/yr
- September: Seal large air leaks. Savings: $80/yr
- October: Add attic insulation; seal and insulate ducts. Savings: $200/yr
- November: Lower thermostat in winter by at least 2 degrees Savings: $20/yr
- December: Cut phantom energy loads by half or more. Savings: $25/yr
For specific info about each task, see Earth Care Bloomington’s website at http://earthcareindiana.org/node/119.
Track your home energy use/reductions:
As an Indiana OED solar grant recipient, Trinity has committed to engage a third or more of its households to reduce home energy use by at least one seventh. Please complete the following simple survey and save your results, so we can share our successes and report them to the OED:
Hoosier Interfaith Power and Light’s “Household Energy Conservation Survey” at https://iucsr.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_8dWOX7oGRD4B35q
IMPORTANT: the H-IPL survey should be submitted only ONCE per household.
Also, please save your results (percentage received at end of survey) and email to Ben Brabson for compilation. Thanks!